EZ SolidWorks Watermark

February 7th, 2008

I’ve seen quite a few strategies for putting a watermark on SolidWorks drawings….putting them on their own layer, embedding a Word document, special fonts, etc. However they all have the common weakness of requiring either API or a manual process of removing them.

My favorite watermark method is to use file properties instead:

1. Open your SolidWorks drawing template and create a file property called “WATERMARK”. Assign the value “FOR REFERENCE ONLY” for the value of this property.
  2. In your sheet format, add an annotation and link it to the WATERMARK file property
  3. Make the annotation good and big so those old coggers in the machine shop can see it

Now the value of the watermark property will always appear on your drawing. If you want to remove the watermark all you need to do is change the value of the property to a space character! (You don’t want to delete it so you can put the watermark back on for future revisions.)

This means you can now remove your watermark without even having to open your drawing…or even your PDM package can update your watermark as the document goes through a workflow!

I’ve attached an example.

Jeff Sweeney

CSWE Engineering Data Specialist 3DVision Technologies

Loading Facebook Comments ...

7 Responses to “EZ SolidWorks Watermark”

1. Raul Rosa says:

How do set the PDM (in my case SmarTeam) to update the watermark?

Thanks,

Raul

2. Jeff Sweeney says:

I am not a SmarTeam guy, but the concept is pretty simple. SmarTeam can update file properties. So as long as you connect your note to your file properties you are all set!

3. Jeff Sweeney says:

That is a pretty interesting question. I bet a lot of it is determined by your print drivers. Have you tried yellow, even that comes out dark?

4. Morgan says:

I’m using SolidWorks 2007, sorry I can not open your file. Could please please convert it to 2007?

5. Jeff Sweeney says:

Sorry, I do not have that old of a version. Perhaps I can describe it.

It is the same idea as how you create notes in your titleblock. Except the font is bigger and placed in a more prominent location so that everyone can see it.

6. Andrew says:

This is easy enough for a dynamic watermark, but what about transparency? I can’t seem to find any way to make a note appear transparent inside of SW. My goal is a dynamic watermark (tied to a document property) that is transparent and lives in the sheet format.

AP, CSWP

Using SolidWorks 2009 Sp4.1 32bit

7. Andrew says:

I found an easy solution: just make a note in the sheet format (light color, rotated, etc.). That will put the watermark behind your drawing views and other annotation, and it will not affect SW’s default line fonts & colors for dimensions.

The biggest problem I’ve had with other solutions (including Jeff’s, unfortunately) is that any color formatting I do to the text is undone when a) I link the text to a property, and b) save the drawing in pdf format. When that is the case, the pdf conversion process changes the text color to black. Without the link, the color remains as shown in SW.

Granted this doesn’t make the text editable in PDM, but if you want a simple solution that is compatible with pdf conversion, give my approach a shot.

Get every new post delivered to your inbox
Join other followers